SIMPLE AND INEXPENSIVE DIY WEDDING FAVORS: MASON JAR TREATS

February 28, 2013 by Savvy Style

mason-jar-favor-table-thumbnail

I have an entire drawer full of all the cutest wedding favors i’ve ever received…

…said no one ever.

Let’s be honest – most wedding favors don’t even make it out of the car on the way home. They either get left at the reception, or they’re in the next round of things you toss in the garbage can when you’re bored at the gas pump and decide to start cleaning out the trash in your car. I am well aware of this rule.

Even so, at our wedding I wanted to do a simple an inexpensive favor that made each place setting feel a little more personalized (and tied to our theme). A sweet treat they could actually enjoy at the reception (if they wanted to) and not feel like I wasted a ton of time when they were tossed later. And bonus: lots of people use mason jars at home, so these bad boys are reusable…they make a great traveling jewelry jar for the nightstand!

Here’s how I made them:

Step 1: Do a little research.

You can find Mason Jars everywhere…and I mean everywhere. They even have them by the case at Publix! We did tons of online research and found them really cheap on several websites…however the shipping wound up being almost three times the cost of the actual jars! Crazy.

We landed on wanting the 4oz Ball Mason Jars, and we found a great deal through Ace Hardware, of all places. They were $9.99 for a case of 12 online, and even better…they ship them FREE to a local Ace near you, all we had to do was swing by and pick them up!

ball-mason-jars-4ozStep 2: Printable Labels.

We found the perfect printable labels online as well, from a company called lablesbythesheet.com. They were super cheap (less than .75 per page) and they have a ton of online templates you can dowload directly into Microsoft Word to design and print…it was super easy!

For a 4oz jar, we needed the 2 inch diameter round labels. We chose ivory, but there are other colors available. You can find those labels here: 2in Round Labels.

See how nicely they fit?

Mason-jar-favor

Sorry for the not-so-great photo…I was just taking these for myself at the time, didn’t realize i’d be using them on a blog later!

Since the free template downloaded into Word, I just created the text from there. You don’t have to be a super-pro designer to do this, either! There are all kinds of free pretty script fonts that you can download…two of my favorite font websites are dafont and Scrap Village.

Our name logo at the bottom I did design in Photoshop using some of the free fonts, however if you don’t have Photoshop or don’t know how to use it, you can still create something similar! Back in the day when I was just experimenting with designing things, I would actually create them in Power Point. You laugh, but it totally works.

Because the paper margins are square and the labels are round, I did have to print a few test sheets onto plain paper to make sure the text I inserted didn’t get cut off of the label. Be sure to do this before you send all of your labels through the printer!

Step 4: Fill them with yummy goodness!

My two accent colors for the wedding were dark purple and green, so I knew I wanted to use those for a pop of color on the gray linens. I ordered Jelly Bellies in bulk…in just those two colors so that I didn’t have to spend days upon days eating, I mean sorting candy. I ordered those here: Bulk eCandy

Step 5: The finishing Touch.

To finish them off, and tie in the style of the raffia I used on the aisle markers as seen here, I took two pieces of the Dollar Store raffia and wrapped them around the lid, tied them in a double knot and cut off the excess. Volia! Finished product:

Wedding-favors-mason-jars

Photo: http://sugarsnapatl.comDon't they look cute on the tables? I think they give it that extra touch.

Photo: http://sugarsnapatl.com
Don’t they look cute on the tables? I think they give it that extra touch.

That’s it! What’s the best favor you’ve ever received? Or maybe that actually made it home…

UPDATE: Get your own FREE copy of the mason jar labels or thank you note HERE

Happy styling!

jamie

27 thoughts on “SIMPLE AND INEXPENSIVE DIY WEDDING FAVORS: MASON JAR TREATS

1. Trisha says:

What a great blog post! The mason jar favors looked so great on the tables at your wedding! I’ve been trying to put together mason jar favors myself for my upcoming wedding in July, but came across the same issue of the jars seeming to be a great deal online…until you add shipping. So the tips on Ace Hardware and the cheap label website are much appreciated.

2. Elena says:

Hi Jamie,

I love your ideas! My wedding is in September 2014 and we are marrying in a barn. It’s a rustic country theme and our invitations are in the shape of mason jars. I will order the mason jars from Ace as well. I’m curious as to how may pounds of candy you purchased? I am looking to purchase plain M&Ms. If you can give me an idea of how many pounds you ordered and how many 4oz mason jars it filled, that would be great! Thank you!

Elena

• Savvy Style says:

Hi Elena!

Congrats on your upcoming wedding, your theme sounds just beautiful! We made 225 of the 4oz jar favors, and I believe that we ordered 20lbs of jelly bellies, however I ran out and wound up having to supplement with some matching color sixlets I got at Party City, so I would recommend at least 25lbs for that many jars. Hope that helps! Best of luck to you!

• Elena says:

Hi Jamie!

Thank you very much!!! I can’t believe that you made 225 favors! I don’t have close to that many to make. Based on your numbers (25lbs for 225 jars), I am going to average out that I will need approximately 1lb for every nine 4oz jars.

Also, for any of your followers that live near a Wegmans grocery store, I accidently stumbled across the same jars that you got from Ace at Wegmans for $7.99. The down side to this is that my Wegmans only stocks 2 cases on the shelf, so I’ll need to make a few trips. However, I have Ace Hardware as a backup :)

Thank you for all of your great ideas!

Elena

3. Renee says:

Thank you for sharing your ideas. Could I have both templates for the labels and thank yous?

4. […] Another idea would be to buy small mason jars and to fill them all with delicious goodies for the guests. Print out labels and put them on the lids of the jars and then decorate the jars with ribbon or, in this case, raffia.{found on savvystyle}. […]

5. Alicia says:

Hi,
    What a fabulous idea. I love it. If you can also please sendbme the templates I would greatly appreciate it.

Thanks,
    Alicia

6. Jessica Hampton says:

I would also love the template for the top of the jar, please! what a great idea, I’m getting married in October! thank you!

7. Teresa Hamm says:

How many pounds of jelly jellies did you order to fill how many jars?

• Jaime says:

3oz of jelly beans fit comfortably in each 4oz jar.

• Savvy Style says:

Hi Teresa,
      I had 220 jars to fill, and I ordered one 10lb bag of each color (so 20lbs total) but I actually ran out and had to get some extra candy to fill about another 20ish jars, so I would recommend if you’re doing 220 jars, you need at least 25-30lbs of jelly bellies.

Hope that helps!
      Jamie

8. DeLane Breen says:

I would love to have the thank you note and jar top as well!! love them :)

DeLane

9. Michelle says:

I would love the template as well. My son is getting married in September, what a special touch to the table. I plan on making the favors also. Thank You so much!

10. mimi malesky says:

I love the thank you card as well. my daughter’s wedding is coming up and would love to steal your idea. Can you send me the template? mimirn1017@aol.com Thank you!!

11. jaime says:

Hello! Can you send me the template for the thank you note you show in the last picture?

Thanks!!

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

My DIY Wedding

Enter your email address to get Savvy Style updates directly in your inbox!

Top Posts & Pages

Sponsors

Daily Boutique Deals

Wedding Paper Divas Sale

topics

copyright

Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivs 3.0 Unported License

©2013 SavvyStyle.net. All rights reserved. The material on this site may not be reproduced, distributed, transmitted, cached, or otherwise used unless expressly permitted in writing by SavvyStyle.net. All content on this blog is created solely for savvystyle.net. I enjoy sharing information and love when others enjoy my finds enough to post the links on their own sites. However, I ask that you please note its origins on your post and link back to my site. Thanks!

For real.
Stealing is so last season, so don't do it, yo.

photo credits

Photo credits are provided for all images originating from other sources and sites. If you are the owner of an image used on this website and would like it to be removed, please let me know and it will be taken down immediately. I always aim to give credit where credit is due!
The Influence Network

Get every new post delivered to your Inbox.

Join 44 other followers